Shadows in Space
Experience is how you improve your character. It is rewarded through poker chips, with each chip being worth amounts based on what color the chips are.
Silver Chips are worth 1 XP each. They are the lowest value of chip. You can gain them for the following:
1. Showing up
2. Showing up on time (6 PM).
3. Bringing appropriate books for the game.
4. Bringing supplies for the game.
5. Bringing food or drink to share with the other players.
6. Helping for the transportation of others.
7. Entertaining the GM in some way that is game relevant.
8. Use of a plot twist card.
There may be other ways to earn silver chips.
Red Chips are worth 3 XP each. They are the most commonly awarded chip in the game. You can gain them for the following:
1. Participating in a scene.
2. Resolving an Aspiration.
3. Encountering a breaking point.
4. Accepting a Dramatic Failure
5. Overcoming a Condition.
6. Bringing large amounts or high quality food or drink to share with the other players.
7. Accepting the results of a social challenge.
8. Having a good dramatic turn in the game.
9. Accepting a compel on one of your Aspects.
10. Use of a plot twist card in a way that makes the game more interesting.
Blue Chips are worth 6 XP each. They are the least commonly awarded chip in the game. You can gain them for the following:
1. Being the pivotal character in a scene.
2. At the end of the adventure, you will gain one.
3. If you encountered actual Danger in the story, you will gain one.
4. If you show wisdom and intelligence in the story, you will gain one.
5. Use of a plot twist card in a way that makes the game more interesting AND inspires the GM more or helps resolve a problem the GM has been having.
6. Bringing really awesome food for the game.
Black Chips are unique, in that each one increases in value based on the total number you have. Also, they are not awarded by the GM, but by the players. The total value of your black chips can be expressed by the following formula, where X = the number of black chips you have: ((X * X+1)/2).
But don’t worry about that. I can do the math in my head, and will.
At the beginning of each game, I will hand you a Black Chip. In addition, each time you earn a Blue Chip for being the most pivotal character in a scene, I will hand you a Black Chip. You must hand the Black Chips I give you over to another player, and may not keep them or choose not to give them away.
What do you give them away for?
Whatever you want. If another player amuses you, or if you think they’ve done awesome that has been overlooked. The first black chip you can keep until the end of the session, but you MUST give it away. Other black chips that I give you must be given away IMMEDIATELY, relating to that scene.
Green Chips represent “Arcane Experience,” and are worth 5 XP each. However, Arcane XP may only be spent on Gnosis, Arcana, Rotes, and certain Merits.
You gain Green Chips when you encounter some new aspect of the supernatural part of the world, or when you resolve a supernatural mystery.